How to archive data in Microsoft Outlook
Recently Mantralogix has received a number of questions from our clients regarding email archiving (specifically Microsoft Office Outlook) and help needed regarding the same. Some questions we have received include:
1) What is data archiving?
2) What are the different types of archiving techniques? and
3) What are the benefits of archiving?
So here’s a look at what is data archiving, how to archive data in Microsoft Outlook automatically or manually, and the benefits of archiving data.
What is Outlook Data Archiving?
- Archiving is the process of moving data that is not actively being used to a different location for long-term retention.
- Data archives consist of older data that is still vital and essential for future reference, as well as data that must be retained for regulatory compliance.
- Data archives are indexed and have search capabilities so that files and parts of files can be easily located and retrieved.
What are the different types of Data Archiving techniques?
- Auto Archiving:
Auto archiving allows you to automatically manage and reduce mailbox size by allowing Outlook to automatically move old items to an archive location at scheduled intervals.
- Manual Archiving:
Manual archiving provides more flexible options for archiving emails than auto archiving. Using manual archiving procedures, users can specify exactly which folders they would like to be included in the archive.
How to Archive in Microsoft Office Outlook
- Procedure for Auto-Archiving:
- Select File, click on Options, followed by Advanced.
- Under AutoArchive, select AutoArchive Settings.
- Select the Run AutoArchive every __ days checkbox.
- After doing that, you will be able to specify how often AutoArchive will run. Modify the settings until you are satisfied, and then click OK
- Procedure for Manual Archiving:
- Select File, select Cleanup Tools, followed by Archive.
- Select the Archive this folder and all subfolders option. You will then be able to select the specific folder that you want to archive.
- When you are given the prompt titled Archive items older than, enter the date below it.
- If you want to change the file location, click Browse under Archive File to be able to specify a new location, and then look for the file you want.
- Enter a filename and select OK.
- At this point, you will see the destination file location in the Archive File box. Click include items with Do not AutoArchive checked in the check box, so as to be able to include files that might be individually marked to be excluded from being archived automatically.
- Finally, click OK.
What are the benefits of Data Archiving?
- Archiving allows managing uncontrollable data growth. It helps identify active /inactive data within the organization.
- Easy to restore single files.
- Archiving frees up primary storage space, reduce backup media costs and simplifies overall data management.
If you need any further assistance on Data Archiving please feel free to call us at 1-866-320-8922