In a recent article, MNP’s Kerry Mann, National Leader – Enterprise Resource Planning, discussed the costs, risks and challenges of...
6 Easy Ways to Keep Your Email & Social Media Accounts Hacker-Free
Have you heard of “Two-step verification” yet?
“Two-step verification” enforces the user trying to enter the account to not only provide a password but a verification code as well. When a hacker attempts to enter the account, a verification code is sent to the owner of the account’s cellphone before allowing access. This process ensures that even if your password has fallen into the wrong hands, the hacker will not be able to login unless they have the verification code from your cellphone.
Here are our tips to protect yourself on all your platforms!
- To turn Two-step verification on or off for Microsoft accounts:
- Go to the Security settings page, and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Under Two-step verification, choose Set up Two-step verification to turn it on, or choose Turn off Two-step verification to turn it off.
- Follow the instructions.
- To turn Two-step verification on or off for Google accounts:
- Go to the Two-step verification page. You might have to sign in to your Google Account.
- In the Two-step verification box on the right, select Start setup.
- Follow the step-by-step setup process.
- To turn Two-step verification on or off for Facebook accounts:
- You can enable ‘Login Approvals’ from the ‘Account Security’ section of the account settings page.
- To turn Two-step verification on or off for Apple accounts:
- Sign in to your Apple ID account page.
- Under Two-step verification, click Get Started.
- Answer your security questions and follow the steps to finish your set up.
- To turn Two-step verification on or off for Twitter accounts:
- From your profile icon drop down menu, click Settings.
- Click on Security and privacy settings and click the checkbox to Verify login requests.
- When prompted, click Okay, send me a message.
- If you receive our verification message, click Yes. (Note: you’ll have to enter your password).
- Read the overview instructions, then click Start.
- Click Send code to add your phone number. (Note: If you already have a phone number associated with your Twitter account, we will send you an SMS to confirm your number.)
- Enter the verification code sent to your device, then click Submit.
- To proceed, click Continue.
- Click Get Backup Code to generate a code. We recommend you store a screenshot of the code in case you need it for future use. This will help you access your account if you lose your mobile phone or change your phone number.
- To turn Two-step verification on or off for Yahoo accounts:
- Sign in to your Yahoo Account info page.
- Click Account security, then select Two-step verification.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete setup.
Learn more about how our IT department can serve you, call 1-866-320-8922 or email us at [email protected] and we’d be happy to help!